Looking to Wage Your Own War on Waste?


Lead the eco-charge.

coffee for one

You’ve got yourself a reusable supermarket tote and a KeepCup – what else is there to saving the planet? Well, a lot actually.

The ABC’s War on Waste series captures the growing sentiment of many to clean up our acts when it comes to waste. While the first episode shocked the nation on our mounting food waste issue, there are plenty of places we can afford to be a little more conscious when it comes to the environment.

You can take a few leaves out of the book of the inspirational Bea Johnson, who runs a zero waste home, or you can give the below a go.

The innovative folk at TerraCycle will collect your waste (even if it’s all in the same old bin), and cleverly transform it into schmick new products for resale. Founded by now-CEO Tom Szaky, the New Kersey-based company now operates in 20 countries worldwide.

Read more: This Library Lets You Borrow Clothes Instead of Books

Food charity OzHarvest has just launched its first rescued food supermarket in inner city suburb of Sydney’s Kensington, but the company has been making strides in harnessing Australia’s food waste problem and putting it to good use for those who have less than others.

There are a few notable places you can now grab ethical clothing (Australian website Well Made Clothes and riotously-coloured YEVU Clothing are great places to start) but LA-based Reformation is making serious strides. Not is the brand fiercely ethical (they opened up their factories to visitors to prove the point), they also take important eco-friendly steps like reusing the factory’s water to grow a garden for staff to enjoy.

Read more: How Do Your Favourite Fashion Brands Rate Ethically? 

Keeping cosy doesn’t have to cost the earth, as local label Seljak Brand proves. Using discarded offcuts from the floor of a wool mill, Brisbane-based sisters Karina and Sam Seljak are putting these fibres to much better use than landfill.

Proving that the Earth is very much on-trend, athletic brand Adidas have also jumped on the bandwagon. In a partnership with Parley for the Oceans, the brand produced a line of trainers, the Ultra Boost Uncaged Parley, that are constructed of 95% recycled plastic found floating around the Maldives, while the remaining 5% has been constructed out of recycled PET.

Read more: The Enterprising Spaniard Turning Junk Into Musical Instruments for Children in Need

We would love to hear your thoughts